May 1, 2009

Pet Poisons


We need to watch-out and protect our little ones...

I say this beacause, I recently read an article by Suite101.com that lists some of the most common pet poisons around your house. I was shocked to find out that even I, a devoted pet owner did not know about some of these common poisons. I am sorry to say, that my pets have been known to get into such poisons. Not only do I need to be more careful, but we all need to be more careful.

Some of these poisons include:
  • human medications, i.e., ibuprophen, acetaminophen, decongestants, cold medicines and anti-depressants
Second and Fourth Most Common Pet Toxins:
  • Insecticides and Rodent Bait (i.e. Rat Poison)

A Deadly Yet Common Pet Poison: "People" Food

  • Baker's cocoa is the most toxic chocolate to dogs.

Other foods that are toxic to pets include:

  • citrus, onions, avocado, raisins, grapes, chewing gum and sugarless candies containing xylitol, caffeine, walnuts, macadamia nuts, and mushrooms, among many others.

For the entire list of pet poisons listed by the ASPCA, or to read the entire article please visit Suite101.com

No comments:

Post a Comment