Oct 26, 2010

Pet Turtles - Are You In The Market?


Growing up I had a friend that had a pet turtle. I remember her telling me not to touch him because he would bite me if I did. Even after hearing that, pet turtles have always seemed like docile creatures to me. However, I am sure if I had stuck my hand in to pet him he would have gotten a snack.

I see pet turtles every so often when I am at the Petco and it makes me wonder which ones make the best pets. I mean if I were to ever get one, I would one one that didn't bite.

From what I understand, there are many turtles species that you can keep as a pet, but there are four that are the most popular and easy to care for (click on each species for more information from www.petturtles.com:

Box Turtles - not for the beginner


Sliders - can grow up to 11 inches in length


Mud Turtles - can live to be more than 50 years old


Painted Turtles - mostly aquatic


After reading through all the descriptions, I think if I were to get a pet turtle, I would get a painted turtle, mostly because of their aquatic nature.

Which turtle would you have as a pet if you could choose between these four?


**If you like what you read, please make sure to "Facebook like" this post. As always feel free to share this information with your friends through an medium you choose.

2 comments:

  1. if you do get a turtle it is very important to immediately wash your hands after handling them as you can get salmonella from them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, thanks for the add. Yes, unfortunately turtles do have the nasty habit of carrying Salmonella. Make sure to wash your hands.

    ReplyDelete